Re: Just imagine - HUH!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by br on May 13, 2002 at 18:27:49:

In Reply to: Re: Just imagine posted by E.R. on May 12, 2002 at 23:23:16:

What an odd statement you made!

Greek is an ethnicity, or at its very least, a nationality (I prefer the prior). Greeks are not by any means a "race" unto themselves. That is unless you were to consider the French a race, or the British even.

I digress, what I found REALLY odd was this idea that race (or as more properly applied here - ethnicity) is the primary determinent of human traits and capacities producing an inherent superiority. I am not sure if you had a chance to read most of the posts of this board, but isn't that the idea that is constantly being pitched here? The overwhelming impression I get from many of the posts is that Hellinism is the primary determinent of Greek traits and capacities and it is these traits and capacities which make us superior (although I think many are more comfortable with "special" or "unique" instead of "superior").

Anyway, I saw the movie, thought is was great. I think Greek Americans would probably identify with it more. Considering the difficult and traumatic situation which the movie portrayed, (and the situation is certainly very real for many young Greek men and woman, at least here in the US), putting it in a humorous light was not a bad thing at all. I talked to a number of friends who really identified with the situation - it was easy to laugh at because it hit so close to home. Personally I really liked the father. He remided me of an ex-girlfriends dad - almost to a T.

BR

: A racists believes that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

: :that's my whole point, the film is called ....'Greek wedding', and not the specific family's name wedding. The slight within the film may have been lessened (but not by much) if it had been called "An American Wedding". All Greeks do not have weddings like that in the film, nor have most of the Greeks I know who have married either here or in Greece. Maybe one day you'll get the point.....I'm not going to even bother going into the purpose of race/class humor. You probably wouldn't get that either.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]