Re: Greeks and Persians

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Spino on May 18, 2002 at 15:38:06:

In Reply to: Greeks and Persians posted by Ellie on May 13, 2002 at 20:21:51:

That all depends on how connected both your families are to their own cultures.

The 'acceptability' factor works both ways. A Greek son dating a Persian girl can be just as big an issue with Greek parents as it is with Persian parents. If your boyfriend is strongly in touch with Greek culture, traditions and the Greek community then you might find things to be a bit difficult (and vice versa with respect to your Persian background). However, obvious differences can be easily overlooked if you show yourself to be on the same 'level' as your boyfriend's family and friends.

If any tension or uneasiness exits the very fact that you are both Christian should be comforting to both sets of parents.

You will definitely discover some surprising similarities with respect to the music, dance and food.

From personal experience I have noticed marked similarities in morals and sensibilities between Greeks and Western/Central Asians.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

: I understand that it is important for Greeks to marry Greeks. I am currently dating a Greek guy and wanted to know if it would be a problem with his family that I am Persian. I am Christian so hopefully religion would not be an issue, but would culture be one?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]