Building An Orthodox Chapel onto my Home...

How the Greek Orthodox religion differs from all others.

Postby nikoz78 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am

First, is it acceptable for the laity to have a small Orthodox chapel built onto their private home?

We live WAY out in the country (Deep East Texas) and there are zero Orthodox churches around (unless we make a 100+ mile round trip weekly, which is unrealistic for us).

The chapel I envision would not have a 'podium' or place for preaching, etc., but rather would be much like an icon corner only with it's own dedicated small building.

We need a daily place for worship. I'd like to enrich our spiritual lives by having this quiet little chapel adorned with Byzantine styles.

I am a small-farmer of Greek heritage, and I just can't see my wife and i raising a family out here without being immersed in our Faith and heritage.

Some ideas:

I was thinking, perhaps, that the chapel be built with a Byzantine-style dome. Remember, we are talking small building.

Should the back of the chapel face East?

Stone or wood...(?)

Stained glass windows depicting Christian events, etc. (these are very expensive, I know).

Icons, of course. An icon stand for a couple large icons of Christ and Mary. Hanging oil lamps. Red carpet or wood floors?

Maybe I'll add acoustic dampening in the walls for absolute quiet.

Should I add a Narthex and Iconostasia? An Altar?

I don't want to do this if it unacceptable to the Orthodox Church. Can anyone tell me if this is common and/or allowed?

I realize this is not a substitute for the Church. Rather, a simple chapel and place of daily worship is what I have in mind.

I'd like to have our home and chapel blessed by a Priest but want to make sure laity are allowed to have a private chapel first.

Thank you and God bless.

--Michael P.
nikoz78

Postby triandafil » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am

Good day. My name is Triandafil, I am ortodox priest in Romania. I need a help. In your country are flags of Bizantion Impire. Can somebody to sand my, for money, of course, a bizantion flag? Can you ask your friend for help my? For my bizantion hard, is very important. God blase you all and thank you. I/m sorry for my poor english. triandafil96@yahoo.com
triandafil

Return to Greek Orthodox Religion & Beliefs