Re: Greek identity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by rm on November 21, 2001 at 14:03:39:

In Reply to: Greek identity posted by Dina on November 20, 2001 at 18:29:59:

How can you say that "Greek" is an idea? That makes no sense at all. Greek is a CULTURE, it's tangible and real, not theoretical. Like any other culture, it's made of people, customs, language, religions, etc.
And it most certainly does NOT power the entire west. Get off your high horse, the Greek Idea (as you call it) is from our ancient history, and that's what a lot of greek people tend to pride themselves on. The emphasis on "Classical Greece" is also abundant at the university level. But, What about NOW? What about the present day MODERN Greece? There's not too much talk about that.
i'm greek and i'm proud of my heritage and history, I love the fact that I know where my roots are. But to be honest, Greece has fallen far behind from the West--economically and socially. yes, it's still a gorgeous country, but what about it's current state. I've heard many Greek people say, that Greece does not "deserve its history" due to the lack of investement in the country today. I mean, you still have a country where women are still treated like second class citizens.
The "Greek" strive for refinement is long gone from its birthplace. I think more people need to start addressing the true state of Greece, as it exists today, and stop romanticizing its ancient greateness.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]