Re: Having your cake and eating it too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Evanthia on April 07, 2002 at 21:29:53:

In Reply to: Re: Having your cake and eating it too posted by Eleni on April 07, 2002 at 18:49:03:

What I mean by 'lack of responsibility' is that people should understand that national defence and one's social/cultural/political responsibility is not something you can put on 'hold' for forever or take in 'a few months here and there' portions. I think those men who have made their decision to create a new life in a new country, would not hesitate in fulfilling any national service requirement in that country, so if they wish to remain Greek citizens, then they have to fulfil their obligations to the Greek state. That's what I mean by responsibility. Also, expecting a nation to design its national defense around an individual's time requests for a few months here and there is patently absurd and impossible on a practical level. I know many Greek men (living in Greece) who postpone their professional and personal commitments to fulfil their responsibility to their nation, don't tell me their careers and families are any less important than a Greek male who lives elsewhere. Those Greek men who have left Greece have not only contributed to the brain-drain of the nation that bore them, but now they want to come and go as they please as Greek citizens without fulfilling the obligations of a Greek citizen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]