Re: Well said...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Emmanuel on April 18, 2002 at 21:44:28:

In Reply to: Well said... posted by Christina on April 18, 2002 at 00:59:21:

I agree, we are all human. I respect self-assessment and constructive criticism of all things, including of one's own. But I am very suspicious of destructive criticism of one's own because I assume that having an insider knowledge of a culture or place, positions one to have a more detailed and sensitive view of how things work or don't work. Could be I am mistaken in thinking this. I also happen to think that ancient Greece lives in every sweep of every column of many ancient-inspired buildings in all the nations capitals. It lives every time a circle or triangle is drawn millions of times every day by everyone from school children to engineers to astronomers. Ancient Greece lives every time we speak English where so much of the vocabulary originates in Greek. Of course, every time a Greek speaks in Greece, their tongue is closer to the ancients than others. I think my point is like yours, we're all people who share in the legacy of the ancients, Greeks, Romans, sometimes the Aztecs too and who knows how many other cultures. We're all members of the same species but where we differ is that this particular species, our own, tends to have many members that feel compelled to attack their own. We could learn a lot from the birds in the sky and the animals in the fields.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]