Re: Thanks to the Orthodoxy we are ignorant!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Christina on April 22, 2002 at 15:49:26:

In Reply to: Re: Thanks to the Orthodoxy we are ignorant! posted by Basil on April 21, 2002 at 23:33:17:

Basil,
Finally... it is nice to see someone defending the Orthodox church. Thank you. Orthodoxy teaches kindness towards one's neighbor, giving to the poor, forgiving others' sins so that ours may be forgiven as well. But we are human, and we fall short. You cannot by any means blame the church for what you see as a failure in Greek society. The Orthodox Church (lest us not forget--the first church) sets such a wonderful set of morals and is a necessary guide to anyone who has accepted God as their Father.

Unfortunately, those in power, more often than not, give in to pride, possessions, and pleasure. Their actions do not live up to the ideals of the Orthodox way, though these people might be a member or even a leader of the church. You cannot judge a religion by the actions of the majority of its people, but only by what the religion teaches. And you must look for the good even in an abyss of sin, for if there is one pious man among a sea of sinners, he will be saved by God's mercy. Remember the story of Noah and his family: Only Noah and his family were true followers of God; what would have happened if we judged the faith by the actions of the rest of the world?

Panos, I sincerely hope that you rethink your judgement of the Orthodox Church. It saddens me to know that someone who has been blessed with having the Orthodox church in their life from birth should throw it away so. Some people search all their lives for this; others live and die without ever having any knowledge of Jesus. Please, look past the actions of your fellow man; it is not they who will save you, but God Himself.

~Christina

: Dear Panagioti: (or Panos as you like to call yourself)

: My points, I believe, stand on their own merit. I stand by my point that those who criticize the teachings of Orthodoxy tend to fall into two categories:

: a) those who are completely clueless as to its teachings (and thus oblivious to its depth and sophistication) and

: b) those who are VERY aware of its depth and sophistication, and thus, fear that it may make other philosophies look superficial, tepid and boring - and thus, they attack Orthodoxy, knowing that the loose attacks will at least be effective by those who fall into category (a) {ie. the completely clueless}.

: By the way, dear Pano, paganism is a movement that is beyond redemption, in spite of the fact that there are people who espouse it. Do you, by the way, recall the first great individual who attacked paganism as vile, corrupt, immoral and unworthy of being followed by a sophisticated group of people ? It was Socrates-----yes, our fellow ancestor who saw that the pagan ideals so many of our clueless contemporaries look at longingly and romantically - as totally unsuitable for the youth of HIS time.

: I guess for some, even Socrates' longing for some logic in the brains of fellow Hellenes hasn't filtered down - even though we've had two thousand, four hundred years of lessons from which to learn.

: In Christ,

: Basil ( a lay (Greek) Christian Orthodox man).

:
: P.S. The clerics you allude to in your message, were, in fact, GREAT champions of preserving the best of classical Hellenic writings. That is the reason that these writings were preserved in continuity in the East, from southern Italy (which was populated mainly by Greek peoples) until the far reaches of what is today Eatern Turkey.

: "O theos na se fotisi" !!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]