Hey Panos what about this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Nikos on April 25, 2002 at 22:04:42:

In Reply to: Re: For Hellens and not for Romious posted by Panos on April 25, 2002 at 15:27:23:

I've been following the threads on this subject and have only one personal contribution. I don't have a problem with the Greek Orthodox church but it seems to me there was a terrible waste in the last 1700 years. Since the advent of Christian monasticism, I wonder how many hundreds, probably thousands of Greece's best and brightest men throughout history went and spent their lives in monasteries? Who knows how many Aristotles' and Platos' and Archimedes' spent their whole lives studying religious texts and praying for their salvation? And then, all these best and brightest of Greek men throughout the eons living and dying in monasteries, they didn't have any children did they so to pass on their geneticically-inherited intelligence and creativity. What a shame and what a loss. One could say that monasteries and the whole monastic tradition added to the 'vlakia' of the Greek peoples. I think this has been the biggest problem with the role of the Greek church in Greece - the loss of some of its best thinkers to the study of theology, what a shame.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]