Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Sylvia on November 07, 2000 at 07:45:18:

In Reply to: Re: Why do so many intercultural relationships end?? posted by Susan on November 07, 2000 at 06:38:55:

: I don't think this is about asking their parents permission for love or how to love but rather once they fall in love and the girl falls in love to - to the point where they want to spend their rest of their lives together - and that's a good thing - then they change to their parents way of life - not the one that you fell in love with.

: It's like we have her now and we can make sure she comes around to our way of life becuase that is the right way.

: It's a shame that the girl usually doesn't realise this sooner but I think it is because the guy is truely in love and they want common things. Once it is serious with families involved and all, his parents jump in to tell him how things should be done and whatever was discussed by the couple is ignored.

: You would think that a mature guy who is responsible enough to decide he wants to marry someone would know the difference between "communication & respect" and brain washing.

: Its sad really because in the end both parties suffer. And the parents - do they really care about their son or is it all jealousy.

once again, its not good to generalise.
if there is good communication and respect between the couple nothing can come between them, NOT even the parents!! (read Mihalis his view on this subject)
like I said before not all Greek parents are like this, ofcourse there are exceptions but they are very little. regarding myself, never ever did I feel I was not welcome in the family. I do feel for the women who say they were totally ignored by their husbands family, but then again its up to the man is he strong enough to go on with the love of his life even if it means breaking up with his parents??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]