Re: English translation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Jan on March 01, 2001 at 01:55:12:

In Reply to: English translation posted by Mike A. on February 28, 2001 at 18:47:33:

: My English is not very good but your translation sounds perfect, Joanna! To my mind it is in full accordance with the original lyrics. Concerning the message of the song, I have also difficulties. As it is quite late in the night, I will try to think about it tomorrow and tell you if I have some good idea.

: Mike A.

: (PS: It's good to know that you like translating. Maybe that I will also ask for some help in the future ;-)

Dear Joanna - Dear Mike,

Thank you so very much for taking time out to help - very much appreciated. I certainly hope that I have not created sleepless nights for any of you!! - The song has also been included in a 4 Volume CD-set "TO NEO KYMA" released by the Greek LYRA label. The shop-assistant in Rhodes where I obtained the CDs was kind enough to give me a short explanation about this NEO KYMA (New Wave) movement which spanned from apprx. 1966-1976 with main composers like Giannis Spanos, Stavros Xarhakos etc. and performers like female singers Kety Homata, Popi Asteriadi, Arleta etc. and male singers like Giorgos Zografos, Mihalis Violaris etc. I was told that the movement was known for its extremely soft and beautiful melodies and very poetic lyrics. While I really enjoy the melodies and voices of the various singers I am totally lost in understanding the lyrics neither speaking, reading or writing Greek. - Many poets are known for "painting" with words creating mere feelings and moods, so after reading the English translation maybe there is not so much to be understood, instead we are being put in a mood?
Not so bad after all, I think.

Jan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]