Re: greek orthodox wedding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Joanna on April 19, 2001 at 23:10:33:

In Reply to: Re: greek orthodox wedding posted by Ourania on April 17, 2001 at 22:18:40:

Ourania,

I have to disagree with you on the fact that the bestman/woman has to be ORTHODOX. I only know that they should be christian (ie not atheists, Muslims, Jewish for obvious reasons -they don't believe in the Holy Trinity) and I speak from personal experience. Two weddings that I attended (cousins of mine) the bestman was Christian but not Orthodox. This is what is allowed in Australia. I don't know what the case is in the U.S. or Greece or any other country. I believe that the Church in Australia has allowed this concession due to the FACT that Greek-Australians are living in a country full of people of other ethnicities with whom inevitably some very strong bonds of friendship will develop. Remember Christ said to love our neighbour. He did not say to love your christian/Orthodox neighbour more than anyone else. As long as a friendship does not interfere with your Orthodox Christian development and practices then there is no reason to break or rebuff that friendship.

The practice of having the bestman/woman christen the first child is merely TRADITION. We shouldn't let traditions (developed by people) get in the way if they are going to upset us. As I told Evelyn, she herself or anyone else Orthodox can christen her children if and when she has them.

The Sacrament of Marriage takes place between the man and the woman being united through the priest conducting the service (ie fourth parties are only witnesses). And I add that if Orthodox Christians are allowed to marry Catholics for example then how is it absolutely wrong for the bestman/woman to be Non-Orthodox in comparison to that?

My message is not meant to offend you Ourania or anyone else. I am just stating the facts as I have come across them through my own experience.

Joanna.

: Dear Evelyn,

: In no way was I attacking your personal beliefs or how religious you are. Since no one is 100% at orthodoxy except JESUS CRIST. Since this was a discussion board. And you were asking for advice, not everyone has the correct answer for you. It is for you to decide which info is suitable for your issue. BUT, honestly the person called KOUBARO who puts the ring on your head must be ORTHODOX. You can have witness stand by you who are not orthodox but they can not touch the rings in the ceremony. Once again, if you feel I am wrong I urge you to ask your preist. I appreciate your opinion. BEST WISHES Ourania

:
: : Dear Ourania

: : Thankyou for your response. Just some feedback for you........

: : You have made some MAJOR assumptions about me and my values without even knowing me.

: : Firstly, how do you know anything about my fertility status and whether I will/can actually have children?? Please do not make those assumptions about me or other women.

: : Secondly, spiritual practice need not necessarily be an "all or nothing" thing - I take offence to your comments stating..." either you are orthodox and participate in all the sacriments or not". May I remind you that it is not your job to judge how worthy/unworthy I am in the eyes of God - that is God's role, let Him do his job as He is very good at it.

: : Thirdly, in light of your comments "if the Koumbaro thing bothers you THAT much..." you obviously have missed my point entirely. The reason I posted my message is because I am in fact placing careful consideration in the actions I take for my life, rather than just blindly following what others say I SHOULD do. I was merely seeking some compasionate guidance from those who may have more information about orthodoxy than myself.

: : Regards,
: : Evelyn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]