Re: Hoping to get along with my Greek in-laws

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Themistokles on August 16, 2001 at 22:20:23:

In Reply to: Hoping to get along with my Greek in-laws posted by Shy Boy on August 15, 2001 at 23:13:25:

: Does anyone know of any good websites or books where I can learn a little more about Greek traditions, customs, Greek Orthodoxy, language, politics etc?
: My girlfriend, and hopefully one day my wife, is Greek and I would dearly like to please her (and of course her family- I know how important that is!) by being sensitive to their culture. Plus of course it is all just so interesting to me that I want to learn more about Greek life and culture just for my own interests.
: Grateful for your help and advice.

Dear file (friend):

It's commendable of you to show enough respect and concern about how your inlaws feel. I have seen all-too-many perspective spouses show complete disregard towards their (Hellenic or otherwise) future in-laws. This even occurs all too often when both spouses-to-be are of Hellenic extraction.

As for a great single source of information (as a starting point), why not try the following book I've recommended to some of my friends' non-Hellenic fiancee's (both female and male): a great book by a "xeni" (foreigner) who has fully embraced her husband's "Ellinosini" (Greekness) and faith (Orthodoxy). I've made a link to the Amazon web site for you.

Best of luck,

Themistokles

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/096380510X/qid=998017820/sr=2-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_1/002-9767217-9370410

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Greek Connection Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]