A general comment...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Christina on April 15, 2002 at 20:58:08:

In Reply to: Christianity and Ancient Greek Culture a contradiction? posted by Panos on April 14, 2002 at 07:09:49:

Just a general comment...
Every country has aspects of its history/culture that it is proud of and other aspects that it is not proud of. I'm sorry that in your life, you have come across more of the bad than the good, but it is unfair for you to categorize Greece this way. To say that Orthodoxy did more harm than good is not, in my opinion, any different from the stabs at Muslims people have taken on this message board that you refer to. Also, please remember that religion in itself seeks to better people and does not wish to inflict harm--it is the interpretation and pride of its followers that brings the harm about. And this goes for any religion.

As for Western Civilization came from--we have derived from so many cultures and influences, that it is much too complicated to give any one nation credit.

~A Greek from the pacific NW

: Dear all,

: I am a greek and I grew up in Germany. I am very happy that I had the possibility to grew up in a country like Germany. The basis of education in Germany is based on humanistic ideals, with a great openess and a healthy culture of critisism.

: I still feeling Greek and I also went 9 years in parallel to a greek school in the afternoon where I enjoyed the "greek culture".

: Already with my school time and every time I go to greece I have the feeling that native greeks pretend to be the real inheritors of ancient greek civilisation which from my point is not the case. Greeks and I agree with other postings on this site, are blissfully ignorant.

: Coming to the point the ones that have realy accepted and further developped the heritage is western Europe and in no case Greece.

: Greece is still in between their medieval byzantin theocracy and the hellenistic culture. From my point of view orthodox religion destroyed more than it constructed.

: And further to all the posting concerning to muslims:
: If Arabs wouldn't have been, we would have lost Aristoteles, Hipokrates etc. PLease be aware that reading especially Aristotleles means that you read arabic translations!

: Panos

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]