Nai thiavazo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Mr AncientGreek on April 30, 2002 at 12:41:26:

In Reply to: you obviously misread what I wrote posted by Christina on April 30, 2002 at 11:29:44:

Yes I read what you wrote. Now you tell me that science never contradicts the Bible??????? Pleeeasse. Of course it does. Ok now that we have discovered how earth was really created, one day is a million years for God. If you said that to the monk that wrote it thousands of years ago, you would have been stoned. I know many Christians who would disagree with you and say that yes the world was created in seven days like it or not. And that in the last day, God "rested". Now you tell me science never contradicts the Bible. You must be kidding or you are trying to fool yourself. The Bible even contradicts Egyptology.
I don't think you are stupid, I think you want to believe in God and that you are holding on to this religion and refuse to think that yes science, which is real and true, contradicts your Bible. Humanity is hundreds of thousands of years old, Christianity just a couple of thousands, do you know how many religions there are out there??? The real world is a lot more fascinating you know, and maybe you can find God there, buy trying to understand it. Ancient Greeks had beautiful fairytales and legends too, but they also embraced science and philosophy. Understand me I don't have anything against religion but:
1-in the recent past, Greeks haven't put enough emphasis on science and knowledge because our church was so powerful and because it promoted obscurantism, and still does today
2- Hellenism is not about Christianity, Greeks are Greeks before they are Christians.
As a Greek, I will always defend our culture and our past, and make people like you understand that Greeks were smarter and more advanced that any other people in the world, and also had their own religion (not one invented in Israel)

: Dear Mr. Ancient Greek,

: Thiavazis? Not once did I bring up the topic of Hellenism and what it had to do with Orthodoxy. I have no idea where you are getting this from... lol. I guess the very fact that you spelled my name wrong shows that you weren't reading very carefully... it's all over the message board.

: Also, I don't know what you are talking about with the world being 10,000 years old and that the world was created in seven days. I did not say that either. The sense of time in Genesis cannot be taken literally. Obviously, why would God conform to "days," which is human time, something that wasn't invented BY HUMANS until many, many, many years down the road. That God created the world? Yes, I do believe that. The theory of evolution does not account for the beginning of life. And the theory that we came from some primordial ooze has been disproven scientifically time and time again. You can't get something from nothing, according to the laws of this world. Since you seem to be comfortable with the laws of the world, tell me, how DO you get life out of the vacuum we call space?

: If you want to argue with me, please argue within context of what I was saying. I'm not stupid, and I'm not going to start defending myself for things I didn't say. The Ancient Greeks? In my opinion, they were by far one of the most remarkable peoples of all time.

: You infer that I'd rather believe in fairytales than trying to learn from my anscestors. I believe in what I learn at the university. If you would just OPEN YOUR EYES you would see that science and Orthodoxy go hand in hand. Science does not disprove the Bible, I don't see why you are trying to, or how you plan on accomplishing this.

: You say you need a little more than "just a book" (namely, the Bible) to "change your life." Hmmm, for starters, try reading Sotiria's post just below yours. If you can't read Greek, then I can summarize her post for you next time. It speaks of a miracle that happens EVERY year on Pascha. There has been scientific evidence for some of the stories in the Bible, and I have witnessed a personal miralce in my own life. And more and more scientists are leaning towards the theory of Intelligent Design, rather than the theory of Evolution as to how this world was created. If you would like more information about Intelligent Design, here is a website: http://www.theory-of-evolution.org/default.htm. And read through it CAREFULLY; I think you will be enlightened.

: I may only be 19, but I am almost finished with my undergraduate degree at the University, taking many science classes that some people THINK would clash with my beliefs. This has not been the case, even with the latest scientific discoveries that we are learning about.

: I think it would be a good idea if you went back and reread my posts.

: Thank you,
: Christina

:
: : I agree with Panos, Christianity has definitely encouraged the spread of ignorance in Greece or what used to be the Byzantine Empire. Not until the 18th century, was the Ancient Greek science and philosophy looked at and analyzed by northern European countries. Greece could have been a thousand years ahead from the rest of Europe if it wasn’t for these centuries of obscurantism where Christianity was the only truth. Countries in northern Europe looked at our writings, then put in question their old Christian principles and evolved. But we preferred to give the power and trust to our monks. That is why Greece has been raped so many times.
: : Cristina, you say that it is thanks to the priests that Hellenism was kept. I think it is also thanks to them that Greece became so weak, and that we were invaded so many times and occupied by Turks for 400 years!! Had Greece been a little bit more sophisticated like it used to be, we would have had the means to create and spread a Greek Empire, create a strong army, and protect ourselves from these animals. Hellenism has nothing to do with Christianity. Christianity is a Jewish - not a Greek invention.
: : Cristina you talk about finding the light. I am happy you found it in a book that says that the world was created in seven days, that humanity is 10,000 years old, in a book that says we come from Adam and Eve. Great for you, if you think that’s the truth and if now you can change your life and your thinking for such a book. Great. It would take me a lot more than that to change my life, and become “a living sacrifice” to the monks and priests.
: : The Ancient Greeks were so evolved, they understood the value of sports, they invented democracy, they had so many philosophers, historians, scientists, they had public theaters, stadiums, a sophisticated army. We still have so much to learn from them, their lifestyle and their philosophers. However some Greeks like Cristina would rather believe in fairytales, that the first men on this planet lived in the Garden of Eden, … all that nonsense. Instead of trying to learn from our ancestors. Yes I agree with Panos, Greeks have become dumb. And still today some of them mix Hellenism with Christianity. It’s sad that only foreign countries can appreciate and learn from our past civilization. Go wonder why French and British museums possess so much of our history.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]