Re: My Big Fat Greek Wedding

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by Merimou on May 08, 2002 at 09:15:50:

In Reply to: Re: My Big Fat Greek Wedding posted by Victor on May 08, 2002 at 08:26:47:

Wow. You guys sound like you all have a huge greek chip on your shoulder. How do you walk around bearing this heavy load everyday--you must be tired. At least it doesn't appear to have given you a complex .

To say that "no Greeks are like that" (as they are portrayed in the movie) is like saying that no are stuck up, or ethnocentric, or racist, or loud, or annoying, or stereotypical, etc. when in reality there ARE people of every ethnicity that can fit those descriptions. Just like there ARE Greeks that act the way the movie portrays them--the author was drawing from her own experiences as a Greek woman in a Greek family. She may have been embellishing or exaggerating the truth to an extent, but isn't that what many comedies tend to do? I bet you have no problem going to the theater and laughing at a film that stereotypes Americans or British people (or whoever), but god forbid that the Greeks are the focus of a satirical movie!

And yes, let's all fight against freedom of speech and expression that millions before us have fought to win and preserve by taking measures to "ban" this movie so that no one else can see it. That's the Greek way! Bravo!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]