Re: what about the influence of the franks/venetians on the islands?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]

Posted by gertrude on May 25, 2002 at 02:40:27:

In Reply to: Re: what about the influence of the franks/venetians on the islands? posted by patriwths on May 24, 2002 at 19:12:24:

I beg to differ. I am from Cyprus, have dirty blonde hair and blue eyes and very pale skin. I was born and brought up in London, where I'm often mistaken for English.

In Nicosia a very large part of the native population has the same characteristics as I (although some have reddish brown, ginger, black hair most have blue or green/grey eyes). By native I mean the original residents of Nicosia and not the non-capital migrants (especially the very dark western Cypriots who have undoubtedly mixed with Turks).

Some reports say upto 200,000 Franks settled in Cyprus over the 400 years of their rule. Then there was 100 years of Venetian rule (incorporating a few years of Genoan, English and Templar rule). It was very common to have marriages in Nicosia between the resident French, Italian, Greek and Armenian populations. Also denomination(although all Christian) was a choice for the child when it grew up. Cyprus back then was one of the most prosperous and rich countries in the world.

When the Turks started invading the island all the mixed gentry moved to Nicosia and enclosed themselves within the Venetian walls.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:

Link Title:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Old Message Board ] [ Greek Connection ]